In 1920, the Sisters of the Pallottine Missionary Society were invited to open a hospital in Buckhannon, West Virginia. Four Sisters followed the call and on February 15, 1921, purchased the beautiful Barlow estate on a hill above the town. Owned by Charles and Mary Barlow, “The Overlook” consisted of a four-story wood building faced with yellow brick on nine acres of land. The rather large private home was converted into an eight-bed hospital and convent for the Sisters with the help of good friends and benefactors.
Over the past 89 years, St. Joseph’s Hospital has developed gradually from an eight-bed hospital to a 95 bed facility with an emphasis on primary health care, with a renewed focus on the development of selected specialty services.
In 2006, a 10,283 square-foot addition, now home to the Emergency Care Center, state-of-the art Imaging Services department, new lobby and patient registration area were dedicated, followed by the renovation of a 25,091 square foot area in 2007. This renovation moved all outpatient services to the first floor, expanded waiting areas, pharmacy and laboratory, and expanded the post-anesthesia area in the surgical suite.
The hospital has continued to grow with the addition of PromptCare, Home Medical Equipment and Supply store and the purchase of St. Joseph’s Medical Office Building on West Main Street in 2009. The Medical Office Building is home to the Associates for Women’s Health at St. Joseph’s; specializing in Obstetrical and Gynecological services. In 2010, the hospital formed a partnership with WVU’s Department of Emergency Medicine, bringing their emergency-trained physicians and physician assistants to staff the hospital’s Emergency Department and PromptCare, on a full time basis. The Physicians of St. Joseph’s have also seen valuable growth with the addition of a cardiologist, urologist, three family practice physicians, an internist, and an Obstetrical/Gynecological physican providing tremendous benefit to the community and the hospital.